3.31.2016

white noise

tests
papers
projects
finals
bills
assignments
credits
alarm clocks
bank accounts
passing biology
idiot guys
loading the dishwasher
roommate drama
emptying the dishwasher
jobs
going to the gym
eating
laundry
looking nice
taking notes
my march madness bracket
going to class
gas money
cleaning checks
getting out of bed

they seem important--
but it's all just white noise.

you think it matters...
and a week ago, so did I.

i never knew how fast the world could flip upside down. 
i know it's always rotating
ever-changing
but for me it took two seconds--
two syllables that changed everything

the sky fell that day.
and it felt like it didn't fall on anyone but me.

first my heart felt nothing
but my panicked lungs hyperventilated

then I felt everything
and with a heart that full, I suffocated

have you ever heard a word become a time-bomb?
I have.

and when I looked around to see the potential casualties, I saw myself included.

I saw the fear in dad's eyes.


two syllables have never scared me more:



can-cer.



since then, everything else has been white noise.


I love you Dad.


2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry. Keep writing though. I think it will help. I can see how you need this. So do I. Writing is not just white noise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning.
    and I love you and I've always got your back, just so you know.

    ReplyDelete